Social Media and Personalized Learning

Post #2 (Week 3)

Wow

I think the theory of connectivism explained by Siemens (2005) was a great way to highlight the fact that the way individuals learn is slowly shifting into something that’s more flexible, yet messy and complex. Decades ago, learning was something as straightforward as going to school, completing a degree, and acquiring a job. However, now having an abundance of resources and information available at our fingertips, knowledge can be a lot more accessible. What once was considered formal learning has transformed itself into a concept that’s a lot more intricate with individuals communicating their gained experiences across online communities and platforms. This idea may not be as obvious to the younger generations, as they’ve been growing in a digital world; however, I’m sure it can be exciting and possibly even intimidating for older adults.

Wonder

The digital age we’re in now definitely favors the younger generations—on the other hand, I do wonder how much of a challenge it is for the older generations to grasp and apply the concept of “networking”. What kind of barriers do older adults face when it comes to leveraging the internet for their own learnings and benefits? What is their approach to gaining knowledge especially when it comes to the field of social media compared to the younger generation?

« »