Wow

I found the following list of strategies for developing a personal learning network very useful in Chapter 6 of Emerging Technologies in Distance Education:

• Immerse Yourself
  • Learn to Read Social Media
  • Strengthen your PLN
  • Know Your Connections
  • PLNs Central to Learning

The last point stood out to me as it was mentioned that long-term, sustained learning is one of the most crucial aspects of PLNs. Personally, I find it difficult to maintain a learning community especially when it is created from a course. To avoid this, I made the realization that I will have to shift my perspective of learning from a course-centric community to a communal-based learning instead. In addition, strengthening my connections will be just as important, especially when it comes to my learning pod. Now halfway into the term, I’m grateful to have built new relationships with my pod members. Despite our limited interactions online, all of us are at a mutual understanding of providing support for each other.

Wonder

Course-centric communities are inevitable at times, particularly surrounding PLNs. I do wonder if there are concrete strategies to long-lasting communities? What exactly makes a community active and sustainable?