Wow

Watching the documentary #tresdancing was a great way to spread awareness on surveillance capitalism, privacy, and online proctoring. While watching the video, I did feel an unsettling tone regarding the technology, scholAR, that the student (Frankie) was using. I found this feeling to be very representative of what many individuals experience when it comes to technology “listening in” or “watching” our day-to-day activities online or in-person. For me, there’s always a sense of discomfort knowing how our search activities, the websites we visit, and even the words that we speak can be constantly logged to satisfy marketing techniques. It was also especially interesting to see how Frankie struggled with the ethics and morals of the technology that she was using either for the greater good of herself, her friends, or for society—I found this to be a great take on any existing power dynamics that technology can impose on us especially in the digital age.

Wonder

Seeing how business entities can get get away with privacy and personal data issues, it makes me wonder what exactly goes wrong with the existing privacy policies we have in place. Is it a lack of policy that instigates these issues, or is it a lack of consensus in these policies that companies are taking advantage of?